Prices and information about the masterclasses 2023
Registration fee (passive participation)
€350 | 1. June 2023*
€400 | 1. July 2023*
*if application is completed by this date
Course fee (Active participation)
*will be added to the application fee after acceptance
Total (Active participation)
€800 | 1. June 2023*
€850 | 1. July 2023*
*if application is completed by this date
- Private accommodation free of charge.
- 3 hours of lessons with piano accompaniment.
- The opportunity to perform in one of the two student concerts.
- Access to listen to all master classes given throughout the duration of the festival.
- Access to all concerts given throughout the duration of the festival.
- Ensemble lessons with Denis Severin
On request and subject to availability: individual string consultation with one of the 3 leading string manufacturers (Thomastik, Pirastro, Larsen).
1. Fill out the online-form. Do not forget to specify the links to your recordings and upload your photo.
2. Transfer your application fee. Applications without payment received by July 1, 2023 will not be considered
3. Notification of admission to active participation will be sent by email by August 1, 2023.
The date of receipt of all documents as well as the registration fee is decisive for the calculation of the fees (early bird or normal). This includes the following things:
- Fully completed application form
- Links to application videos
- Photo for the festival pass
- Appropriate registration fee
Please note: Without decent quality recordings (videos) it is difficult for the professors to determine which candidates to admit to the masterclasses.
Booking period 1 (May 1st – June 1st 2023): €350
Booking period 2 (June 2nd – July 1st 2023): €400
Course fee individual lessons & participation at the concerts: €450
Confirmation of active participation will be announced by the 1st of August 2023 per email.
Payment of the course fee (active participants) should be received in full by 30th of August 2023 at the very latest.
The application fee guarantees participation on a passive basis*. If this offer is not taken up, the application fee will be refunded minus a €90 administration charge.
*Private accommodation subject to availability.
Please provide only links to YouTube videos.
Which/how many pieces are required for the masterclass selection?
Repertoire is free choice. However recordings submitted should demonstrate a high level of ability and must be unedited live-videos. The quality of the recording device used is not a deciding factor.
We recommend two pieces from the following – incorporating one fast and one slow work:
- A virtuoso piece – e.g. Piatti Caprice (not including no 1) or a popper study.
- The first movement of a concerto or sonata from the standard repertoire.
- A Prelude from one of the Bach Suites for Solo Cello.
Rule of thumb: fast - slow (2 works are sufficient)
About the video upload:
The videos can be uploaded to YouTube for free and set to "unlisted" (please do not set to "private" because otherwise the videos can only be seen by you). Thus, the videos are not publicly visible, but only through the links that we get from you. Of course you can also send links to public videos. In the application form please enter the link to the videos.
If you have any questions about the videos, please contact our student’s office: email@example.com
Each participant gets a festival pass for the festival, which always has to be carried. It is valid as a ticket for all events (attending the master classes and concerts).
Which picture should be chosen?
Please upload a profile picture in print quality that clearly recognizes you (face, look into the camera).
In the registration form you will be asked to insert a CV. This can be with keywords and should include:
- Musical short CV
- Current university and professor
- Prizes, awards, competitions, scholarships etc.
- Participation in masterclasses in the past
Account holder: Cello Akademie Rutesheim
Purpose: Application master class, name of applicant
Bank: Kreissparkasse Böblingen
IBAN: DE26 6035 0130 0000 0217 97
Please note that applicable bank transfer fees will be charged at your expense.
Address for payment with Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: When paying with Paypal, the respective payment amount increases by 20 €*.
*Since you cannot select that the fees are booked at your expense when paying with Paypal, we charge a flat fee of 20 € per booking transaction.
All active participants are obliged to be present for the entire duration of the festival.
Arrival: 28.10.2023 | Departure: 5.11.2023
Late arrival or early departure is possible only in exceptional cases and in consultation with the student office.
The timetables are carefully designed in order to provide each student with the best possible opportunities. These timetables are binding. Alterations will only be made in exceptional circumstances and with the festival administration’s approval. All students must submit their repertoire for each lesson.
Ample practice rooms will be provided.
Please bear the following rules in mind:
- Please bring your own spike-holders to the academy.
- It is not permitted to practice without the use of a spike-holder (and carpet, where provided).
- It is also possible to practice in the teaching rooms until 1 hour before the concert begins. All buildings will close at this time.
- The festival will accept no responsibility for instruments or private property left overnight in festival buildings.
- In the interest of all students we kindly remind participants that it is not permitted to block off rooms for long periods of private practice.
Professors will select students from their classes to perform in the chamber music concert as part of the festival. Active participation does not automatically entitle students to perform in this concert.
The final concert provides the best students from the academy with the chance to perform with a professional orchestra. The selection for this performance will be made by professors based upon the quality of the submitted recordings.
We offer all active participants the possibility of staying with host families free of charge. Of course, this is not a mandatory requirement and upon request we are happy to help you find a hotel nearby (not included in the course fee) should you prefer.
Host families open up their homes primarily because they seek to support the international culture and the character of the Academy. We would like to remind all participants to value this generosity.
Please note however, that host families are under no obligation to provide transport, meals or other additional subsistence.
Rules regarding accommodation with host families:
- It is not permitted to invite personal guests to stay with your host family. Any requests in this regard must be made through the festival office.
- You are expected to respect the house rules of the host family.
- Visits made by students to another host-family residence require the expressed permission of the respective host family. It is forbidden to spend the night with other students at host-family residences.
In principle, all participants are responsible for their own meals. The host parents decide independently whether they offer meals or not. There is a kiosk in the school cafeteria that offers snacks and drinks throughout the day.
All participants should endeavour to promote the atmosphere of the festival and make it a special experience for both artists and concert-goers alike. There has not been a single expulsion from the academy in 13 festival years and we really want it to stay that way.
Behaviour that could lead to expulsion from the academy includes:
- Complaints made by host families, including the refusal of a host family to accommodate a student further.
- Underage alcohol consumption on festival property.
- Damage to floors caused by the cello spike.
- Spending the night with other students at host-family residences.
In the event of expulsion from the academy, the course fee will not be refunded and the participant’s return journey will be made at his or her own expense.
The Cello Academy Rutesheim will photograph participants and make audio and video recordings throughout the duration of the festival.
By taking part in the festival, participants agree to the publication of all such recordings and photos and relinquish their copyright to the ownership of “Cello Akademie Rutesheim e.V” for promotional purposes, including but not limited to Flyers, Postcards, Website, Posters etc.
- All cancellations made before the application deadline (1st July 2023): Application fee less €90 administration charge.
- All cancellations made after the announcement of active participants (1st August 2023): Application fee less €100 administration charge.
- After the 15th September 2023 no refunds will be made on the application fee (€350 respectively €400).
- Cancellations made after the 1st October 2023 forfeit the possibility of a refund on the course fee.